If you hunt for the best scopes for .338 Win Mag, you will absolutely come up with limitless products to select from. And, what makes it even more challenging and perplexing is that not all of these scopes are appropriate for the Win Mag.
What We'll Cover
- Quick Answer: The 5 Best .338 Win Mag Scopes for 2020
- Best Scope for .338 Win Mag Reviews of 2020
- Nikon Buckmasters II 4-12x40mm BDC Riflescope
- Vortex Optics Diamondback 3.5-10×50 BDC (MOA) Riflescope
- Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm Riflescope
- Bushnell Trophy Multi-X Reticle Riflescope
- Vortex Optics Razor HD LH 2-10×40 SFP Riflescope
- What Makes a Great .338 Win Mag Scope
- What Magnification Do You Need
- Factors to Consider when Buying a Scope for .338 Win Mag
If you’ve been utilizing the Win Mag for some time now, then you are aware that it is really crucial to invest in a high quality model.As you know, product reviews are valuable if you’re planning to shop for a quality scope and it is even more so when it comes to riflescopes.
In order to avoid buying the wrong scope for you, it doesn’t hurt to do your own study first prior making the final purchase. Luckily, the product reviews below could be of great help for you!
Quick Answer: The 5 Best .338 Win Mag Scopes for 2020
First, let’s take a look at the top-rated .338 win mag scopes, then we’ll talk about how to choose the right one for you in our buying guide below.
Best Scope for .338 Win Mag Reviews of 2020
Nikon Buckmasters II 4-12x40mm BDC Riflescope
If you’ll try to observe this scope’s entire construction, you will see that it is made of high quality construction materials that make it shock, fog and water resistant. And, since it is equipped with fully multicoated lenses, it could guarantee a more enhanced light transmission even on cloudy scenarios.
Fundamentally, since it is built with BDC reticle, users could keep long distances and acquire safe shots. The vision is quite lucid whether in short or long distances. It could also be adjusted and brought to zero instantly, to begin focusing again.
But, please note that there is a tendency for users to encounter some minor problems with this scope’s adjustment rings. In like manner, you may not also fully enjoy outstanding performance in places where there is low light conditions. These are just a few of the downsides that you may expect if you purchase this scope.
- Designed with multicoated system to ensure exceptional lighting
- Can provide adequate eye relief
- Equipped with BDC scheme
- Highly recommended for hunting deer
- Can guarantee versatile magnification for more added flexibility
- Incapable of ensuring superb performance under low light conditions
- Slight problems with adjustment rings
Right to it, this scope is one of the best hunting scopes for .338 Win Mag since it is highly recommended for people who are into deer hunting. It comes with incredible focus and unexcelled image at a range of a hundred yards. In the same way, it is designed with multicoated and anti-reflective lenses that are meant for ensuring excellent daylight vision.
Vortex Optics Diamondback 3.5-10×50 BDC (MOA) Riflescope
The Diamondback 3.5-10x50 riflescope is one of multiple configurations in the Diamondback lineup and is ideal for big game, predator/varmint, slug shotgun, and long range applications
Basically, this is a nice scope at the price point. It is capable of executing what you need it to execute. It comes with a very lucid glass at 1.5” at a hundred yards for a newbie shooter.
This scope can endure rugged use since it is O-ring sealed and designed with Argon purged feature that are specifically intended to provide water and fog resistant performance.
However, a few of the drawbacks that you need to watch out for are this scope’s glass that has the tendency to get a little dusky on the edges; aside from this, you may also encounter some minor problems with its eye relief.
- Built with Dead-Hold BDC reticle that is ideal for any type of shooting and hunting activities
- Very lucid and fully multicoated lenses for clear images
- Highly recommended for dangerous game, predator hunting, muzzleloader and long-range applications
- Fast focus eyepiece can guarantee reticle focusing in seconds
- Ideal for reliable and rugged use
- Minor issues with eye relief
- Glass gets slightly hazy on the edges
Overall, this scope for .338 Win Mag ballistics is the best bang for your hard-earned money. Since it is made with a great reticle, you can be guaranteed of a satisfying hunting performance. It has audible clicks and the turrets reset under the caps. The overall quality of this model is first rate but its eye relief comes with little issues that you need to be aware of.
Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm Riflescope
Model #170678 - VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm with Duplex reticle and Matte finish
100% Waterproof, fogproof, and shockproof.
DiamondCoat 2 - Ion-assist lens coating for higher light transmission and the greate...
In addition, this a sterling option mainly because it comes with generous eye relief, it is more compact, shorter and lighter and can be easily mounted lower on the bore. This is the right model if you prefer the belted magnums. It can deliver clarity even under dusky conditions and comes with generous light transmission feature as well.
What sets this scope apart from other models out there is that it enables hunters and shooter to see valuable details even under dusky conditions at the start and end of the day and this is made possible by its avant-garde Twilight Max Light Management System.
Nonetheless, this is a costly scope and it may take a while to set it up if you are a newbie.
- Designed with Twilight Max Light Management System
- Comes with 1-inch main tube design that is quite lightweight
- Equipped with dual reticle and comes with matte finish
- Shock, fog and water resistant features
- Built with aircraft grade aluminum
- Quite expensive
- Not easy to set up
To conclude, this model can be the best budget scope for .338 Win Mag except its costly price tag. However, if you’re going to review all its features and functions, it is absolutely a good catch for the price. It can deliver out-of-the-ordinary performance, it comes with lightweight and solid design and it can function well even under hazy scenarios. Don’t you think these are what hunters prefer most in a scope?
Bushnell Trophy Multi-X Reticle Riflescope
Fully multi-coated optics and rain guard HD offer 91% light transmission in any weather
100% waterproof, Fog proof and shockproof 1 inch one-piece tube construction with integrated saddle
It is interesting to note that this scope is unmatched for the price. It comes with a very tough construction that comes with sterling light-accumulating feature and can deliver very lucid images. Not to mention, it appears sharp on stainless rifles.
Bushnell Trophy Multi-X Reticle Riflescope can hold zero outstandingly and even if you have put countless rounds through your AR-15 with this scope set up, it could still be able to hold zero after all of that shooting applications. You also won’t have issues with its scope mount.
Nevertheless, this scope comes with a couple of disadvantages too, first is not having rings included in the package and the second one is the fact that there is no illumination on its reticles. So, you need to keep that in mind before making the final decision.
- Designed with extraordinary light transmission specification
- Equipped with reliable finger-adjustable elevation and windage adjustments
- Can deliver exceptional field of view at all magnifications
- Capable of functioning well for bolt action rifles
- Quite easy to sight in without any tools required
- No illumination to reticles
- Rings aren’t included in the package
All in all, this model can be considered as one of the best budget scopes for .338 Win Mag in that it could perfectly fit muzzleloaders. It also comes with very lucid optics and can be adjusted without hassle. You’ll love the fact that it could hold zero quite well and this can serve as the top option for any stainless rifle.
Vortex Optics Razor HD LH 2-10×40 SFP Riflescope
The Razor HD LH 2-10x40 is an ultra-sleek, lightweight hunting scope. High density, extra-low dispersion lenses and premium XR coatings combine to produce razor sharp resolution from edge to edge.
What’s more, it is also equipped with ArmorTek coating that could provide protection to the external lenses from dirt, oil and other abrasive contacts. This scope’s hard-anodizing features can also ensure scratch resistance performance and durability that could withstand any rugged use and inclement weather.
On the other hand, this scope isn’t perfect just like all other brands available out there, it is a bit expensive as compared to other popular brand models and it is not recommendable for long action rifle with standard mounts. See to it to consider these flaws prior to making the final purchase.
- A certified ultra-smooth and lightweight hunting scope
- Excellent eyebox that could offer a plenty of eye relief
- Equipped with extra-low dispersion and high density lenses
- Designed with locking ocular focus for a crisp and sharp reticle
- Durable Argon-purged and O-ring sealed features that ensure fog and water resistant performance
- Doesn’t suit a long action rifle with standard mounts
- Slightly costly price tag
In essence, this scope is the right choice for shooters and hunters searching for optically superior, lightweight and solidly constructed riflescope that is built to last and can guarantee second to none shooting or hunting performance. But, just like other scopes on the market, you should not expect this model to deliver all the features you are dreaming of in a scope as it also comes with a few drawbacks that you need to ponder on.
What Makes a Great .338 Win Mag Scope
A scope can be perceived as a great one if it is durable enough to endure any rugged use and inclement weather conditions. In truth, it is not worth much if the armament’s recoil shatters it apart. Moreover, you can consider a scope great depending on its range- as you know, .338 Win Mag is renowned for both short and medium range round for hunting large creatures like bear and elk and for long range target round.
It is essential to note that the scope should be accurate and easy-to-adjust primarily because what’s the point of a precise round if your scope could not handle the accuracy? Likewise, it must be crystal clear so as to be able to provide lucid images and capable enough to combat shot after shot from the heavy hitting .338 Win Mag- of course, this must be done without the need to worry about causing any damage in the scope’s interior parts and losing zero.
What Magnification Do You Need
It is very important to know what magnification you need for your .338 Win Mag because scope magnification could either improve your target or shake you off.
So, what magnification do you especially require? Magnification is actually a substantial tool that significantly aid in making your target bigger and more lucid in order for you to obtain the maximum shot. On the whole, the least magnification that provides you a lucid target figure is the most excellent scope magnification. That is virtually the response to this query. For all that, there are a few variables to toss around.
It is critical to decide what do you use it for? Is it for target shooting or hunting? Target shooting could necessitate a larger magnification setting founded on support and range. All the same, hunting will typically clamor for a lower overall magnification setting since it matters to consider how small or big your target is and the length of distance from your target.
Note that the lower your magnification is set, the faster you could uncover your target in the scope and blow a shot. Many would concur that a fine setting for 300-yard distance would solely require a 4x magnification or 6x at approximately 400-yard distance.
If you are going to aim for 500-yards or lower than that, then a magnification of not more than 10x is already enough and can deliver satisfying performance; be that as it may, if you plan to aim for over 500 yards in distance, then it is advised to opt for a magnification setting that is larger than 10x. Please be guided that more than 10x magnification would be great to keep an eye to your rifle.
Factors to Consider when Buying a Scope for .338 Win Mag
A rule that is wise to follow before you make the final decision for the .338 Win Mag scopes is to invest as much on your scope as you invest on your rifle. It is worth mentioning that scopes do not lose value as much as countless of other products on the market. Thus, spending in one of the top-drawer choices that you could afford is a smart decision.
It matters to opt for well-constructed brands that come with good reputation. Choose manufactures that have been trusted by a considerable number of consumers around the globe and have been in the field for many years. Needless to say, reputable firms don’t fail to produce top quality products that could satisfy their customers.
Practically speaking, all well-built scopes have a number of vital features that indicate premium quality construction. When buying a scope for your .338 Win Mag, it is a must to consider the following aspects:
- Budget. We all demand for high quality scope, but the amount you can afford is a substantial deciding factor that must not be taken lightly.
- It should be built with one piece aircraft or aluminum grade tube that is gas-purged so it could get rid of all moisture.
- Look for the one that is O-ring sealed. This makes the scope fog, water and shock proof.
- Check if the lenses are multi-coated to ensure protection, clarity and brightness.
- Go for the ones that offer good warranty.
- If you are going to use the scope for hunting, pick the one that is equipped with capped turrets to make adjusting elevation and windage a lot easier for you. The specifications must consist of A-1 locking and returning to zero right after these have been sighted in.
- The design of the scope’s reticle is highly a matter of preference. This must be lucid at all magnification levels. The options for this comprise of hash marks for range and windage and bullet drop compensation.
As you can see, there are so many considerations that you need to mull over if you want to get the real value of your money. Of course, if you have a good rifle, it is just right that you pair it with a good scope so that you can fully take pleasure in your shooting or hunting activities.
Some of the valuable features that a good scope must possess were already mentioned above and some of the other additional ones that you may also keep in mind before you make the final purchase include the followings:
- Generous eye relief
- Lightweight and ultra-smooth
- Designed with extra-low dispersion and high density lenses
- Sharp and crisp reticle
- Equipped with superb light transmission features
- Capable of providing outstanding field of view at different magnifications
- Finger-adjustable elevation and windage adjustments
- A scope that is quite a piece of cake to sight in without the need to use tools
Obviously, there are a lot of good features that we all look for in a scope which makes the selection process a tough luck. While it is true that it is impossible to have all these must-have features in one scope model, what matters the most is you are insightful of the purpose why you are buying the product.
Many a time, your purpose can serve as the deciding factor when it comes to what suitable model or brand that will work best for you. Thus, before doing your search, think about the reason why you are investing in a scope. And, from there you can easily decide which one is right for you!
The market for the best scopes for .338 Win Mag could be befuddling given all the options, aperture sizes, magnification ranges, features as well as styles of reticles to select from. In truth, not all scopes are constructed equal and it is easy to fall for a well-marketed models. This is the reason why it is useful to administer your search first.
And, since you do not wish to choose the wrong scope brand or model for your rifle; it is highly suggested to reflect on the product reviews discussed above to help you narrow down the countless of choices that only bewilder you in the end.